This text was originally published in German in the journal Springerin, Vienna, March 2002.
1. 'The common assumption of ultimate war by the major political powers of our planet brought about the development of World WAR Gaming Science by the great powers’ respective military strategists. World War Gaming Science involved all terrestrial resources. My World PEACE Gaming Science changes the basic assumption of fundamental inadequacy of total life support and applies total capability toward the success of all humans. l Buckminster Fuller, "Preamble and Memorandum to those interested in playing WorldGame", in The World Game: Integrative Resource Planning Tool (Carbondale, Ill.: Southern Illinois University, typescript, 1971), p. 2, available at:
2. Quoted in Medard Gabel, 'Buckminster Fuller and the Game of the World,' at
3. I use Suely Rolnik's distinction between 'playing-the-game' and 'just-playing', in 'Oyvind Fahlström's Changing Maps', exhib. cat. Oyvind Fahlström: Another Space for Painting, MACBA, Barcelona, 2001.
4. Buckminster Fuller, 'Preamble and Memorandum', op. cit., p. 6.
5. Interview on May 2, 1996, with Fabrice Hybert, artist representing France at the Venice Biennial, in Bureau d'études, Chroniques de guerre 2, brochure, February 2002.
6. Bruce Sterling, 'Information Wants To Be Worthless', distributed free over Nettime, March 6, 2002, archive at
7. Mark Lombardi’s sketch diagrams and index cards on banking scandals, or the website “TheyRule” by Josh On and Futurefarmers (www.theyrule.net), are close to the recent projects by Bureau d’études. “TheyRule” introduces a DIY side to corporate tracking:users can build up diagrams of a single CEO’s participation in interlocking corporate boards. However, neither project has the synoptic ambitions of Bureau d’études.
8. Paolo Vari, 'USE.04 Raves', in exhib. cat. Mutations, arc en rêve centre d'architecture, Bordeaux, 2000.
9. Stefano Boeri, 'Notes for a Research Program', in Mutations, op. cit.
10. Suely Rolnik, 'Oyvind Fahlström's Changing Maps,' op. cit.
Arquitectura de Archivo & Diseñador de Delitos
AMERICA has a rest, where you want to be